Community Development - Building
The Building Division safeguards the health, safety and welfare of residents, workers and visitors to Cupertino by effective administration and enforcement of building codes and ordinances adopted by the City, and by providing field inspections, plan checking and public information services related to new construction.
Please call 408.777.3228 for information or inspection requests.
Building Department Hours are 7:30 AM to 4:30 PM daily (we are open from 12-1 PM!)
APPLICABLE CODE STANDARDS (Effective 1/1/2011)
2010 Triennial Edition of CCR, Title 24
The 2010 triennial edition of the California Code of Regulations, Title 24 (California Buildling Standards Code) applies to all occupancies that applied for a building permit on or after January 1, 2011, and remains in effect until the effective date of the 2013 triennial edition. The California Building Standards Commission website at http://www.bsc.ca.gov has information on where the codes can be purchased and Parts 6 and 11 can be downloaded for free. Please visit http://www.bsc.ca.gov/default.htm for website links where other parts of the codes can be viewed online. The handout documenting the History of Cupertino Code Adoptions can be found here.
There are 12 parts to Title 24 and the applicable parts for most Building Division permit applications are listed below:
- Part 2: The 2010 California Building Code (CBC) is based on the 2009 IBC, but includes numerous State of California amendments.
- Part 2.5: The 2010 California Residential Code (CRC) is based on the 2009 IRC, but includes numerous State of California amendments and does not include the electrical, energy, mechanical, or, plumbing portions of the IRC, and instead parts 3 through 6 of Title 24 as listed below apply.
- Part 3: The 2010 California Electrical Code (CEC) is based on the 2008 NEC with State of California amendments.
- Part 4: The 2010 California Mechanical Code (CMC) is based on the 2009 UMC with State of California amendments.
- Part 5: The 2010 California Plumbing Code (CPC) is based on the 2009 UPC with State of California amendments.
- Part 6: The 2010 California Energy Code is currently based on the 2008 Building Energy Efficiency Standards, and please visit the California Energy Commission website at http://www.energy.ca.gov/title24/2008standards/index.html where additional information can be found and Compliance manuals can be downloaded for free.
- Part 9: The 2010 California Fire Code (CFC) is based on the 2009 IFC with State of California amendments.
- Part 11: The 2010 California Green Building Standards Code (CALGreen Code) This Part is known as the California Green Building Standards Code, and it is intended that it shall also be known as the CALGreen Code.
City of Cupertino Offers Online Building Permits
The City of Cupertino has created an online tool to better serve its citizens, residents, and business owners. Minor building permits can now be obtained online including:
- Temporary Power
- Residential Water Heaters
- Residential Repiping
- Residential Chimney Repairs
Online building permits add to the existing list of services which include viewing current permits and licenses in the city, scheduling inspections, checking plan review status, renewing business licenses, and making payments for services. Visit us online at http://www.cupertino.org/onlineservices for 24/7 access to these services without leaving the comfort of your home or office. For those that prefer to visit City Hall, the new system allows for faster counter service for customers who require more personal staff support for less routine projects.
Please click on the following links for information about the online permits available and for frequently asked questions (FAQ).
Online Permit Information
Online Permits - FAQ