Strength Through Diversity
Cupertino enjoys a diverse population. The City of Cupertino has developed these pages so that residents can get information about City programs and initiatives to promote cultural understanding.
5Cs (Citizens of Cupertino Cross-Cultural Consortium)
5C's is a volunteer group of residents whose mission is to create an infrastructure to promote a harmonious, diverse community.
Cultural Tips and Hints
Communicating with people from different cultures can be both exciting and confusing. It's exciting because we can learn new things about other people and other cultures. And learning about other cultures often gives us a new perspective on our own culture. Cross- cultural communication can also be confusing, for example, when you find yourself in a situation where you're not sure what to say or do. What's appropriate? What's inappropriate? Find some answers here.
Developed in September 1998
Approved by City Council, Cupertino Unified School District, Foothill Unified School District, De Anza College, Asian American Parent Association
- Cupertino is committed to becoming a model multicultural community for the 21st century. Multiculturalism includes, appreciates, and respects the complexity and richness of our community, and the various lived experiences and perceptions of our residents.
- Multiculturalism is a dynamic, evolving, and complex process which is based on a powerful set of core values.
- Understanding differences in ways that promote unity, not separateness.
- Promotes inclusion, cooperation, and movement toward mutually shared goals.
- Respects the unique characteristics of individuals as well as commonalities among culturally diverse groups that make up our community and reflects all aspects of who we are (race, class, gender, ethnicity, religion, national origin, etc.)
- A realistic and working definition of multiculturalism recognizes that conflict and disagreement, as well as collaboration and consensus, are essential parts of a rich dialogue and necessary to achieve the goals of a culturally rich community.
- In our multicultural community, an action plan is developed to influence behaviors and organizational structures to nurture the common good and integrate the positive contributions of all members of the community.
Last updated: 12/20/2010 11:52:48 AM