City of Cupertino Summer Employment Opportunity
Recreation and Community Services Dept., 10185 N. Stelling Rd., Cupertino, CA (408) 777-3120
Human Resources Office, 10300 Torre Ave., Cupertino, CA (408) 777-3200
Swim Instructor / Lifeguard - Aquatics Program
The City of Cupertino Recreation and Community Services Department has summer openings in the aquatics program which is held at the Cupertino High School pool. The program runs Monday through Friday and starts on June 5 and ends August 4, 2017. You will be expected to work for the entire length of the program. Tuesday, July 4, is a mandatory workday for all recreation staff.
POSITION: Swim Instructor This is a non-benefited, seasonal part-time position.
HOURS PER WEEK: 20 to 35 (approximate) This is a non-benefited, seasonal part-time position limited to no more than 995 hours per fiscal year.
STARTING PAY: $13.00 per hour
FINAL FILING DATE: Open until filled
DEFINITION: Swim Instructors/Lifeguards are responsible for teaching swim lessons to participants and for the safety and well-being of patrons at the pool. The position requires a fun and positive disposition, excellent customer service and communication skills, and the ability to work well with a team. This is a non-benefited, seasonal part-time position limited to no more than 995 hours per fiscal year.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
* Conducts swim classes for various ages and skill levels
* Keeps accurate progress records
* Maintains constant and active surveillance of patrons in the facility
* Acts immediately and appropriately to secure safety of patrons in the event of an emergency * Provides emergency care/treatment as required until the arrival of emergency medical services
* Presents a professional appearance and attitude at all times
* Enforces all policies, rules, and regulations
* Performs cleaning duties as directed to maintain a clean and safe facility
* Maintains a high level of customer service
* Must possess current Red Cross certificates: Lifeguard, First Aid, CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer
* Must be a minimum of 16 years old
* Must have the skills and techniques required to teach swim lessons effectively to a variety of ages
* Must be responsible, alert, courteous, and punctual
* Must be able to communicate with peers, supervisors, and patrons
HOW TO APPLY: Applications may be picked up and returned to the following offices or submit an application online. Cupertino Recreation and Community Services Dept. 10185 N. Stelling Rd. Cupertino, CA 95014 Cupertino City Hall Human Resources 10300 Torre Ave. Cupertino, CA 95014 APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED IN EITHER OF THE TWO OFFICES UNTIL POSITION IS FILLED. SELECTION PROCEDURE: Applicants will be screened by: A) a review of their written application; B) an oral interview; and C) State law requires that if your position will bring you into contact with minors (i.e., those under 18), you must complete a fingerprinted criminal history records check. D) Successful applicants will also need to show proof of current T.B. test. E) Successful applicants may need to provide a DMV printout of their driver record prior to their Human Resource appointment. All applications must be typewritten or handwritten in black ink.
The City of Cupertino is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of a person's race, religion, color, sex (including gender and pregnancy), sexual orientation (including heterosexuality, homosexuality, and bisexuality), national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, uniformed service member status, marital status, pregnancy, age, medical condition, genetic characteristics, and physical or mental disability. Candidates with a disability, which may require special assistance in any phase of the application or testing process, should advise City of Cupertino Human Resources upon submittal of application. Documentation of the need for accommodation must accompany the request. AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Download Employment Application
Apply Online Now